When I first talked about making these cookies, everyone looked at me and said, “What you can’t put that many things in a cookie. It’s too much!” But guess what. You can. And guess what. They’re delicious. They’re a spin off of these cookies.
Spice cookies with apples and walnuts
- 1 box Spice Cake cake mix
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup cinnamon chips
- 1/3 cup finely chopped apples
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease baking sheets
- Combine cake mix, oil, and eggs in a large bowl. Stir until blended. Add in your extras: chips, nuts, etc. (Like the original recipe says, the mixture is stiff! And it’s a little bit greasy. But that’s okay, I promise.) Shape the dough into 1 1/4 size balls (or use an ice cream/cookie scooper*) and place 2in. apart on greased cookie sheet. They expand a little, but not an extraordinary amount.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes or so (mine were done at 8 mins). Duncan Hines cautions us to not overbake. Cool on baking sheets for a few minutes and then move to wire racks to finish cooling. Store in an airtight container if you have any left after baking! (They’re yummy and even better when they’re warm.)